Wellingtons of 311 - Vickers Wellington
Vickers Wellington Royal Air Force Czech Squadron Aviation Aircraft Painting Print by Charles J. Thompson GAvA
The Wellington formed the backbone of Bomber Command from the beginning of WWII until the arrival of the four-engine bombers in larger numbers during 1942. As well as serving with British and Commonwealth units, the "Wimpey" was also employed by the squadrons of the Free-Polish and Free-Czech Air Forces. These aircraft come from 311 Squadron, formed at RAF Honiton in 1940 and which went on to serve in Coastal Command as well before disbanding and becoming part of the Czech Air Force.