Mauretania in Moonlight - RMS Mauretania

More from Robert Lloyd
£24.00

Ocean Liner Painting of RMS Mauretania off the port of Cobh

 

The RMS Mauretania of 1938 was named after the great pre-WWI liner which had been retired in 1935. The first ship constructed by Cunard-White Star after the merger of 1934, the ship held several records. She was the largest ship to ever traverse the River Thames regularly and use the London docks. Not as famous as either its predecessor or the Cunard “Queens”, Mauretania II was designed for the London-New York trip from London’s King George V dock. But this route would be curtailed after the war with the ship only having entered service in 1939.

 

The ship did much good work during the war and took part in the Multi-Million Dollar Convoy of 1940 (see John Stewart’s painting Multi-Million Dollar Convoy). She returned to passenger duty in 1947 but with the cancelling of the London-New York route became a stand-in for the “Queens” at Southampton. Cruises from New York to the West Indies began in the winter months from 1947 and became the ships main role from 1962 until retirement in 1969.

 

Rober Lloyd's Ocean Liner Painting shows the ship just outside of the port of Cobh in the province of Cork, Southern Ireland.

 

In addition to our standard Open Edition prints we have an Artists Proof, signed by Robert Lloyd, Limited to 50 copies only. The image measures 18" x 12" (Approx 458mm x 305mm).

You recently viewed

Clear recently viewed