Mauretania at Southampton
Cunard Ocean Liner RMS Mauretania Marine Painting Art Print
Built with Government money in response to the threat of German and American liners on the Atlantic routes, Mauretania became one of the best known and well loved of all liners.
Laid down at Swan Hunter yard on the River Tyne in August 1904 and completed in 1907, the ship became the largest liner afloat when she began sea trials. Renowned for her speed, the ship took the Blue Riband in September 1909 at an average speed of just over 26 knots. This remarkable feat would not be bettered for twenty years.
WWI saw her being used as a hospital ship and troop transport until boiler damage saw her laid up in 1917. She was later re-painted in dazzle camouflage and used by the Admiralty, before being used to transport overseas troops from 1919 onwards.
Returning to her passenger duties in 1920 she was badly damaged by fire in 1921 and re-constructed an converted to oil firing. She returned in March 1922 and sailed for eight years before gaining a white hull and being used for cruising from New York to the West Indies.
She was finally sold for scrap in 1935. In Harley Crossley’s Marine Painting Art Print, she is seen entering Southampton some time after her 1921 re-fit.